Visit My Website, A Personal Gallery!


Click on Logo Bar Below, to visit my website!


Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Steampunk on a Loom!


STEAMPUNK: Feminine, Strong, Intelligent & Fantastical!
The Steampunk culture takes its cues from the Victorian era, while speculating how the world would be different if steam power was the driving force. It has an obsession with time so clock parts are often included, such as gears, old fashion keys and bits of antique metal cast offs. In order to reflect an antique feel, brass, bronze, copper, gunmetal, rich browns, ecru and shades of grey are included. I was excited to take this Steampunk movement, to my loom, bead weaving a cuff that would incorporate much of these ideals.

BEAD Magazine-UK, contacted me asking if I could create a bead loomed cuff, for their Issue #40, highlighting the 'Steampunk' style. It was a wonderful way for me to learn more about this design aspect and see if I could replicate the same feel, on my loom. This turned out being the most enjoyable design experience. Steampunk offers such a magical, fantastical feel where 'anything goes', as long as it is muted in color, metals are antique in finish and clocks, cogs or skeleton keys are included.



My idea to add a watch, evolved into being able to create what I wanted, under a clear glass cabochon. The custom design watch face is shaped and secured, under a 30 mm round glass cab with 'thin' watch gears placed freely around. I then bezeled the glass cab by hand weaving 11/0 and 15/0 glass beads, in a matching colorway. More bronze and copper metal were included as the watch chain, bail and fun findings.


The complete pattern and details, of how I finished all aspects, including the graphed pattern for the loom, are published in the latest issue of BEAD Magazine, August/September 2012. Their magazine can be purchased on line or at some of the larger book stores, in the US. The E-Mag can be just as gratifying, offering the same pattern and much more, from other wonderful bead artists.

I am very proud to see my beading featured, on a magazine cover, for the first time! It also excites me to see my favorite method of bead weaving, being highlighted, in such an important manner. It doesn't seem to happen enough, for me.

This truly is an exciting time, for bead weaving on a loom, and my plan is to create further interest, when my book becomes available. It will include the most up-to-date and enjoyable methods, of managing warps, showing how to further the two dimensional aspect of beading on a loom and offer inspiration to generate thoughts on including new supplies or adding hand woven bead designs.

If you have been following my Blog and want to learn more about my techniques, consider looking into this latest copy of BEAD Magazine! See if you can stop yourself, from adding more and more 'Fantastical' findings, as I had a hard time doing!



15 comments:

  1. Fantastico!!!!
    Un trabajo impresionante!!!
    Felicidades!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ¡Muchas gracias! Estoy muy orgulloso e incluso les resulta más gratificante compartir con los lectores de mi blog! Gracias por tus pensamientos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Erin :)

    I love your blog :) I've got that issue of Bead - your cuff is superb :)

    Just wanted to say the new layout and design of the blog looks great - nice changes!

    Best wishes,

    Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Autumn, (I love your name!) Thank you. Do you think you will be looming a cuff, from the pattern in BEAD? I would love to see it, if you do. You can also send a picture to BEAD and they will publish the picture and your thoughts about the pattern. That type of feedback also helps me write the articles.

    As for the Blog renovation, I usually stay with something and try to offer a sense of familiarity. But, I thought is was time to make use of the features Blogger offers. Now, I need to stop looking into what else I can change! :D

    Thanks again Autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic piece, Erin. You nailed the style completely - I am not surprised at all it is on the cover. I just love all the details, as always, you make beautiful things :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That's a spectacular piece Erin! Congrats on making the cover of Bead Magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your work is simply stunning. Wonderful once again.

    Congratulations on the cover. I can see I am going to have to buy your book when it is published.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats again on another publication!! I look forward to reading this article! A great piece!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So impressive, Erin. Looks like you had a lot of fun with this one. Steam punk, who knew. You keep me abreast of all the latest trends. The magazine cover! Outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  10. [waves to Kim] Nice to hear from you Kim! I hope we can keep in touch more.

    Cindy, it is so nice of you to comment, as you are one of my favorite 'beaded bead' artists!

    Thank you KJ and Robbie!

    Colleen, I look forward to your thoughts, all the time! Thank you. You made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i found your blog by accident and but boy am I glad that I did.I don't know anything about bead weaving on looms ,I do bead embroidery.I was so inspired by your work that I have started reading your blog from the beginning.hopefully I get to try this technique out one day but till then I will be looking forward to reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! Erin.. Congrats on making the cover. Your Steampunk cuff is AMAZING! I love it...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Niesamowite, piękne rzeczy. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my! It never came to mind to do Steampunk with beads. Brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete